Accessing the Internet by E-Mail

hallo,

hat hier jemand interesse, die deutsche version zu updaten
- oder heisst es upzudaten?
dieser text ist auf jeden fall ein wichtiger!

viele gruesse
karl

        |        Accessing The Internet By E-Mail          |
        |        Guide to Offline Internet Access          |
        |           8th Edition - January 1999             |

                Copyright (c) 1999, Gerald E. Boyd
                         gboyd@netcom.com

      All rights reserved. Permission is granted to duplicate and
      distribute copies of this document provided the copyright
      notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies.

A Brief History
---------------

Accessing The Internet By E-Mail or originally known as "Doctor Bob's
Guide to Offline Internet Access" was the brainchild of Bob Rankin (a
great net guy) who started it up in 1994.  He kept it up about 5 years
before passing it to me in January 1999, when it became apparent he was
too busy with other projects (Internet Tourbus, writing, etc.) to
continue maintaining it.

In October 1997 I had taken over the moderator duties of the ACCMAIL
mailing list (which is used to further develop ideas expressed in this
FAQ) and started a web page based on this FAQ. I guess he figured I was
the logical person to take over the FAQ. Hmmm!

So there you go.

How to Access Internet Services by E-mail

If you don't have direct access to the Internet through your BBS or
online service, you're not alone.  Many of the world's countries with
Internet connections have only e-mail access to this world-wide network
of networks.

But if you think that sounds limiting, read on.  You can access almost
any Internet resource using e-mail.  Maybe you've heard of FTP, Gopher,
Archie, Veronica, Finger, Usenet, Whois, Netfind, WAIS, and the
World-Wide Web but thought they were out of your reach because you don't
have a direct connection.

Not so!  You can use simple e-mail commands to do all of this and much
more on the Internet.  And even if you do have full Internet access,
using e-mail services can save you time and money.  If you can send a
note to an Internet address, you're in the game.

I encourage you to read this entire document first and then go back and
try out the techniques that are covered.  This way, you will gain a
broader perspective of the information resources that are available, an
introduction to the tools you can work with, and the best methods for
finding the information you want.

Recent Changes To This Document
-------------------------------

8.0 New FAQ maintainer. Updated lists of mail servers.
    agora@ictp.trieste.it - disabled as of 28Sep98 (see www4mail)
    getweb@getweb.ecn.cz - defunct as of 27Aug98
    getweb@ictp.trieste.it - defunct as of 27Oct98 (see www4mail)
    getweb@unganisha.idrc.ca - defunct as of 06Oct98 (see www4mail)
    w3mail@gmd.de - defunct as of 31Dec98
    NETFIND gopher://ds.internic.net:4320/7netfind%20dblookup? defunct 31Mar98
    Four11 Online User Directory merged into Yahoo! People Search - 01Nov98
    URL-minder@netmind.com defunct as of 11Nov98
    update HELP-NET address, Added new www4mail servers section.
    Added brief history section. Updated getting BABEL.

Finding the Latest Version

This document is now available from several automated mail servers.
To get the latest edition, send e-mail to one of the addresses below.

To: mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu (for US, Canada & South America)
Enter only this line in the BODY of the note:
  send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email