[FYI] (Fwd) FC: More on Southern Utah University -- yanks policy

Date:          Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:15:43 -0500
To:            politech@vorlon.mit.edu
From:          Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:       FC: More on Southern Utah University -- yanks policy from Net

Yesterday I sent out the URL to an article I wrote about a
controversial new computer-use policy at Southern Utah University, and
I linked to the text of it from my article:
  http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/18070.html

After my article appeared, SUU administrators yanked the text of the
policy from the Net and replaced it with a one-line statement saying
"The current policy is under review":
  http://www.suu.edu/pub/policies/pp52acce.html

Well, that's true. But it's just a committee that's been looking into
it since last year, and the policy is in effect right now.

Here's the text of the policy that I downloaded while I was writing my
article. I believe "guest subscribers" refers to all SUU computer
users.

-Declan

*******

I. PURPOSE: To state policy on acceptable use of Southern Utah
University computer system.

II. POLICY:

As a guest subscriber on the Southern Utah University computer system,
please be aware that your access and use of this system for E-mail or
Internet access should not be regarded as private communication. It is
not regarded as private by the university, its computer staff, or the
administration.

Accessing, downloading, or printing of certain sites may constitute a
violation of Utah Criminal Law.

Should your access to any site, viewing on-screen, downloading, or
printing in any way constitute a violation of Utah Law, SUU Policies
and Procedures or the SUU Student Code of Conduct you may be
prosecuted or disciplined accordingly. This information, as it is
commonly retained in a server or other system memory, may be used as
needed to support prosecution or resulting disciplinary measures
without your prior consent.

System users may not:

Acquire, store or display any obscene, racially offensive,
threatening, harassing, or otherwise objectionable material.

Attempt improper or unauthorized access to any other computer system,

Wilfully prevent or impair the use of the school's computer equipment
for legitimate purposes by other users.

Engage in any activity which is unlawful or institutionally
prohibited.

The administration reserves the right to suspend or remove any account
that is found to be in violation of these policies.