[FYI] European Commission Interested in Open Source

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/12/15/0943212&mode=nocomment

European Commission Interested in Open Source

[ News ] Posted by jimjag on 15:45 15th December, 1999
from the massive-potential-baby dept.

The European Commission has recently initiated various actions (or efforts) related
to Free/Open Source software. One of these actions, from the Information Society
Directorate General, is to create a working group on libre software, with the
purpose of analyzing the free software phenomenon, creating a set of
recommendations for the Community and drafting a paper to be presented to the
Commission. The group includes both representatives from the Commission services
and active players from the free software arena in various EU countries. You can
find the current issue paper and a discussion mailing list right here. The EC is the
controlling body of the European Economic Community, so we are talking a pretty
big interest here. (Note: all the above are links to English pages; the EC's main site has various language sets available)

--
Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE Kommunikationstechnologie GmbH
Siemenswall, D-24107 Kiel, Germany, +49 431 386 436 00