Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: European At Large Council

On 2000-09-01 01:02:20 +0100, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> Thus, I think time is not ready for creating a council. An
> at-large council may be a gradual outcome of an undefined period
> of discussion and work. A council whose authority would be based
> on pesonal trust and merit rather than on formal and somewhat
> helpless criteria of representativeness.

> That's why I would prefer to rely on open mailing lists for the
> time being.

I fully agree.

> And, to add just another point, a council wouldn't prevent a
> director from creating his own private little council - and be it
> only to figure out how to cope with its official equivalent ;-)

That's what I had in mind when I wrote about naturally-evolving
structures.  I think it's pretty obvious that the director will have
some persons he or she personally trusts, and possibly calls to get
immediate feed-back on certain ideas or issues, or asks for help in
condensing opinions.  Note that such structures are completely
independent from any formal council, and _will_ evolve, even despite
the creation of a more formal council.

Since these structures will, however, be able to perform most of the
council's intended functions, I don't see any need for a council,
currently.  Remember, all this is about consulting with one single
individual.

--
Thomas Roessler                         <roessler@does-not-exist.org>