Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: European At Large Council

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2000-09-01 01:02:20 +0100, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
> > That's why I would prefer to rely on open mailing lists for the
> > time being.
>
> I fully agree.
me too.

> > And, to add just another point, a council wouldn't prevent a
> > director from creating his own private little council - and be it
> > only to figure out how to cope with its official equivalent ;-)
>
> That's what I had in mind when I wrote about naturally-evolving
> structures.  I think it's pretty obvious that the director will have
> some persons he or she personally trusts, and possibly calls to get
> immediate feed-back on certain ideas or issues, or asks for help in
> condensing opinions.  Note that such structures are completely
> independent from any formal council, and _will_ evolve, even despite
> the creation of a more formal council.
>
> Since these structures will, however, be able to perform most of the
> council's intended functions, I don't see any need for a council,
> currently.  Remember, all this is about consulting with one single
> individual.
I agree as well, but we will see. There is a difference between "own
little private council" and "own little private SECRET council". That's
a matter of personal trust in the "one single individual", to keep
things openly and known. We'll just have to start with a certain
confidence-credit, and then see how it works. Elections should/can be
re-done. There is a thing called "constructive distrust vote" in
Germany. Not that I would distrust anybody, but IMHO elected at large
directors should consider to subject themselves to such a vote (2/3
majority distrust against 1/3 trusted or something similar).

Michael Ludwig