Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: The Key Questions for Jeanette Hoffmann

Jeannette,

>According to the ga-dnso list, many people seem to agree with
>Harald's view.
>Thus, if the very structure of the DNSO turns out to be in itself a
>failure, would it be a good idea to cement this structure by proceeding
>to establish the constituency of individual domain name holders at this
>point? Or should this effort be temporarely deferred because the
>whole structure has been called into question?
>This is a tricky question. As far as I see there is no easy answer
>available at present.

The problem, as I see it, is flexibility to create a new Constituency when
the situation changes.
It is obvious to me that there is pressure to include individuals in the
picture, so a way should be found.
This is not to say that Constituencies will be created (and destroyed) just
because a couple of people wish so: we need a mechanism for recognition of
an emerging new reality (and possibly obsolescence of an old one).
The best proposal so far was the so called "Paris Draft", that I personally
still consider a fair solution. The key is representativity: if a group of
people collect more than a certain quota of members (the figure used was 5%)
it may create a constituency. Also, another provision was obliging the GA
Members to choose one constituency in which they will be voting members.
This will also take care of the other problem that people vote in different
constituencies.

Anyway, for further discussion on this, I believe the GA is the right place.
On this list we were answering Joop's question about IDNO.
My personal answer, that Joop knows, is:
"As a Board Director I will not take initiatives in favour of IDNO (or other
candidate Constituency for DN Holders) unless there is a favorable
recommandation from the DNSO"
which, I assume, will cause the IDNO voters to choose another candidate ;>).

(OTOH, as GA Chair, in view of the consensus in the GA, I will do all what
is in my power to allow a constituency for Individual DN Holders to be
created, and a proposal to be made, and a recommandation be forwarded to the
Board)

Regards
Roberto