[ICANN-EU] Re: Don't waste your endorsement

* Marc Schneiders wrote:
>On 5 Sep 2000, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:
>>> Right now, the "open" TLDs are all in the capable hands of a unique
>>> company. The introduction of (a limited number of) new TLDs will
>>> provide alternatives.
>>
>> Currently there are several registrars for the same TLDs. So a fair
>> competition does not require new TLDs.
>
> Dozens in fact. But they all pay $6 to NSI for each domain.

This is a contract problem and not a problem of DNS.

> you are worried about some companies making 'unjust' profits out of the
> DNS when there will be new gTLDs (without there being any additional
> benefits to the internet at large, a position which I think is *not*
> unreasonable at all)

I do not oppose the profits, I do oppose the creation of TLDs solely for
profit.

> you should also share the sentiments about the NSI monopoly, which stil
> exists for the major part of the registration fee. (Not to mention the
> license fee all registrars have to pay NSI for using the software to talk
> with the database.)

Ack, you can bet on my position on such monopoly structures. But I do not
know the contracts to say more.

And I do not see new TLDs as a valid method to break the monopoly. This must
be done by legal actions.