Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: Don't waste your endorsement

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 02:05:39PM +0200, Jefsey Morfin wrote:
> At 12:01 07/09/00, Lutz wrote:
> >BTW: $ nslookup -q=any bofh
> >      bofh       internet address = 193.174.15.34
> >      bofh       preference = 10, mail exchanger = jengate.thur.de
> >      bofh       nameserver = jengate.thur.de

> >See my point?
>
> Sorry, I dont (but I wear a low IQ is low).
> Could you explain (I am not teasing). Thx.

You IQ is sufficient enough, but you never cross this problem. The point is,
that any address part can not only be a source of subtrees but also a valid
address by itself. In this case the TLD bofh (mine, not an official one)
serves as ordinary address, too. I can be reached as <hostmaster@bofh>.
There is a server call 'bofh' with an IP address.

If such practice occurs on new TLDs (which is very likely) you will run into
the problem that every single word entered as an URL can be a valid domain
name or the host part of a valid locally configured domain or even a catch
word as currently used.

So if somebody enter 'mercedes' as an URL, what should happen? If the
company has the local domain 'lan.office.company.com' no DNS entry must
ensists for 'mercedes.lan.office.company.com', 'mercedes.office.company.com',
'mercedes.company.com' and 'mercedes.com' (older versions of resolv) in
order to get the IP address of the server 'mercedes.'.

Despite the current catchword practice is not longer allowed, this may cause
an enormous number of court decisions to prevent every new TLD (or
trademark) in any position of the DNS.

Of couse this scenario will never happen, because I'll not get enough
endorsments to come on the ballot, so nobody will notice it ;-)