Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: Don't waste your endorsement

* Joop Teernstra wrote:
>At 15:27 7/09/00 +0200, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:
>> Despite the current catchword practice is not longer allowed, this may
>> cause an enormous number of court decisions to prevent every new TLD
>> (or trademark) in any position of the DNS.

>I tried to follow your argument, but you lost me here. Who will sue whom?

If I enter 'microsoft' on Navigator's URL line (at least at mine version) I
the result of the Goggle query for microsoft wrapped into a Netscape
enviroment. Try it with ai. The correct result should start with 'We can set
you up with ...' (http://ai/)

Unfortunely if I turn off the catchword system (Edit -> Preferences -> Smart
Browsing -> Keyword System (which is a wrong naming)), http://singleword/
will not cause a DNS query to a root server first. There are a few other
queries before this query of the last resort: 'singleword.loc.al.do.main'
and 'singleword.do.main'. This is even true for dot seperated phrases and
very useful (usv05.lan is shorter than usv05.lan.iks-jena.de).

In order to gain a maximum reachability the new TLD 'owners' will sue every
company for using there TLD in a deeper structure. This becomes more likely
if the TLD is a trademark. I know from a case about mercedes.do.main.de,
unfortunly I did not follow if it came to a court or not.