Re: [ICANN-EU] US Government's ultimate control.

Joop,

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> >> But we are still left with the problem of definition, mechanism and proof.
> >
> >Yes. I am trying to focus on the transition-from-USG-process. The
> >transition will never take place until WE are able to present an
> >alternative structure.
>
> Alf, may I presume that you mean:  to fix what we already have?

YES, sorry if that was unclear. I should have said: "...until WE are
able to present an alternative "ownwer" structure".

> Providing an alternative structure  is exactly what I have done
> bootstrapping the IDNO, with the help of a few dedicated volunteers.  The
> structure is for a specific interest group (the Ind DN holders) but the
> effort of building it and guarding it against capture during the
> rule-building stage is the same.
> It is non-trivial effort.
> You will find out when we in ICANN Europe try to structure ourselves.

I know it is non-trivial, but we have to do it.

> >If the ICANN Board could present a plan with a timescale,
> >based on advice from the At-Large and/or the SOs, that would be nice...
>
> How can the At-Large give advice before it has any structure?

Well, we have to start somewhere.... and 5 elected Board members is a
start. And the icann-europe -list is the start of the European At Large
forum.

> ( Rather than having this dialogue with Alf alone, I would like to hear how
> Jeanette and Andy MM see this dilemma)
>
> -- if the Board cannot be trusted to dictate a balanced structure from the
> top down,  how much time would you give the At large body  to come up with
> a structure from the bottom -up?
> Would the EU elected Board member be willing to act as bootstrap?

I cerainly will. That is why I initiated this discussion in the first
place, to show you that at least one of the candidates thinks this is
important...

Best regards,
--
Alf Hansen                     Mail address:
                                 UNINETT FAS A/S