Re: Theology [Was Re: [icann-eu] Re: [ICANN-EU] ccTLDs to ask for BoD seats?]

Marc and all,

  An excellent response post here Marc.  (See my comments below)

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, at 13:49 [=GMT+0100], Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
> [Earlier I typed:]
> > >.... As long as all roots carry the same main
> > >TLDs, there is no problem. Most people wouldn't even notice it.
> >
> > What is the usefulness of distinct roots if all carry the same information
> > about TLDs? Is it a matter of principle, or what?
>
> The same "main" information... The usefulness is in the added TLDs,
> and in the fact that there is not a single point of failure, thanks to
> alternatives for the NSI-root.

  Indeed!  ANd also thanks to the many other TLD's that are
available as a result, that evidently the ICANN board did not see
fit to consider.

> > >We do have a problem, when one root throws out certain TLDs, or starts
> > >a conflicting TLD, ignoring the same one that exists in another root.
> >
> > If you are thinking at ".biz", for instance, I'm sure that "most people
> > wouldn't even notice it" either ;>)
>
> Which does not make it better. Not at all. I think.
>
> > >And of course this action will be defended by the root that takes it,
> > >by pointing out, that they are the one and only true public root,
> > >sanctioned, yes sanctified, from above, and the others vile heretics,
> > >which should be burned, as soon as possible.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand.
> > People that point to the ICANN (just for identification purposes, I know
> > ICAN does not control it) root will continue to see the DNS according to the
> > ICANN root: they are not accessing the "alternate root's" .biz now, and they
> > would not care not to access it in the future.
>
> How do you know what they care or do not care to see? Which .biz
> people care to see (if any...), will depend on the amount of marketing
> $$ put into it.

  Very true.  Or how well those marketing $$ are utilized.

> > OTOH, the few people that are seeing the DNS according to any "alternate
> > root" do see the "alternate root's" .biz now, and will continue to see it in
> > the future regardless what ICANN will put in its root.
>
> But they will not see ICANN's $50,000 .BIZ, will they? So a
> fragmentation is introduced, by ICANN. The true church does not need
> to bother though. It would be against all its principles to do so. It
> really cannot bother about creating splits without giving up precious
> claims. It has to do this. Hans Kraaijenbrink may have been quite
> right from the true-church point of view, and some others on the Board
> of ICANN not firm in the faith when they did not go for Afilias' .WEB.
> Then IOD's .WEB is not a strong supporter of other roots, and did ask
> to be (re)admitted into the true flock. This may have saved them.

  Yes, ICANN has stepped in it's own crap, so to speak.

> > There's no need to burn anybody.
>
> No, that was a bit too strong. Apologies. The strategy is probably to
> let the alleged heretics burn out by themselves.

  Good point here.  But time will tell the tale here...

> --
> Marc Schneiders (rest in header)

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#