Re: [icann-eu] Re: [members-meeting] LAST CALL: Study Committee Comments.

> On 2000-11-30 11:15:25 -0800, Barbara Simons wrote:
>
> > If only five of the at large seats are to be elected directly,
> > how will the other four be chosen?  We currently have four Board
> > Squatters occupying those seats.  Is that acceptable?
>
> Certainly not, and - as the text is supposed to say - they should
> indeed be elected.  However, at least some of us seem to be able to
> imagine constructions in which part of the At Large directors is
> elected directly, and part is elected indirectly.

Thomas, we've talked on the phone at length about the election procedure.
Thus you know already that I am not too fond of your proposal. To tell you the
truth, after reading Barbara's comments and giving some further thought to it,
I am even less excited...
I think it is rather unwise to introduce at  this point the idea of indirect
elections of the 4 ALM directors.
1. It means to open a can of worms. To get the board to agree on direct
elections was a major achievement reached in Cairo. The clean sheet
character of post election study is the prize we are expected to pay for that
victory. If we now propose an indirect election of the missing 4 At Large
Directors, we would not only give up what we have successfully called for less
than a year ago, we would also contradict the arguments in favor of direct
elections.

2. To propose an indirect election of 4 ALM directors is no minor point. If we
want to avoid chaos & confusion among the global At Large Membership,
some form of consultation with the Asian and the US members community on
this point seems to be absolutely necessary.

However, the post election study is expected to look also into election
procedures. The right time for proposing a model as you have in mind, might
be the discussion and drafting period of this section of the study.
So if you ask me, I would rather take this point out of the draft and bring it up
again at a later point in the process.

My apologies for the very late response.

jeanette

When I'm looking