Re: [icann-eu] LAST CALL: Study Committee Comments.

Dear Roberto,

I must respectfully disagree with you about not calling for the
election of all nine at-large Board members.  While it is true
that a sufficiently large organized group can "condition" the
election, as you say, this is always a concern with democracy.
I don't think that anyone thinks that the recent election was
perfect.  But, I feel strongly that we would be doing a major
disservice to the millions of users of the net if we were to go
along with the effort to reduce democratic input into net governance.

I am opposed to giving into claims made by forces who want to
reduce or eliminate the at-large simply because we may not win.
I am not at all convinced that we are confronting a fait accompli.
But, even if I thought we were, I might still want to argue for the
democratic election of all nine at large Board members on the
grounds that those who are opposed should be forced to make
their case.  I don't believe that we should hand them cheap victories.

Regards,
Barbara