Re: [icann-eu] LAST CALL: Study Committee Comments.

roberto_gaetano@hotmail.com (Mon 12/04/00 at 12:23 AM +0100):

> I have the impression that to fight for a direct election of all nine is a
> lost fight.
> The results of this first attempt has demonstrated that it is technically
> possible for press (the case of Europe) or some industrial group (the case
> of Asia-Pacific) to strongly condition the election.
> There is no way we will be able to extend this to half of the Board.

i agree with what barb said--that is to say, i disagree with what
you've said here.

'strongly condition' is a very vague criterion, too vague to work
with. and in any case, yes, that's right: human institutions like
the media and corporations form a big part of the social networks
through which people learn, become involved, etc. yes, this might
prove to be problematic, particularly initially. but, since there
is no alternative, that doesn't seem like valid grounds for criti-
cism, imo.

i think this initial election was primarily a success for exactly
the reasons you diagnose as problems--because it demonstrated how
'capture' is a complicated continuum, not an all-or-nothing propo-
sition. did germany 'capture' europe? yes. did it try to? no? are
the results acceptable? absolutely!

it seems to me that, ultimately, you're objecting to risk.

cheers,

@~/ oO \~@    <http://www.tbtf.com/roving_reporter/>
\_U__/