Re: [icann-eu] ALM Directors

Dear Wolfgang,
IMHO your question is the key issue. Who the @large Directors are
actually representing. This may be debated a lot bith practically and
theoritically.

My own reading is the following.

The individual stakeholders (i.e. from the people having some kind of real
unique ID [in some countries Postal Address are irrelavant} and an e-mail
upto the boss of an ISP) should be able to become @large Member for
dree or for a yearly Membership (to define according to the country)
because they form the Internet user community.

On a country code basis these Members belong to the local community
served by the ccTLD and giving it its legitimity. On an ICANN basis I
would accept that only those feeling concerned become @large Members,
without restriction, the year long and on a public basis so to motivate others
(the real issue is that managing the list, the mail, the votes, costs and it is
unnecessary to spend money for uninterested people).

The local community should be supported by the NIC, and adhoc service
association as we are setting it up in France (France@large) and have
representatives to the Board and may be to other councils (regional, natonal,
continental ...) or for other reasons. As long as all these structures are not
established on a worldwide template and part of the ICANN.

The @large should form half the ICANN, the other part of the ICANN being
the professionnals in their professional capacity and be professional Members.
Eventually the ICANN should be the association of the Internet co-owners and
and support with billions of Members through the world. This is the only
solution for the network to stay technically, legally and politically
stable and
out of government control. The Membership will eventally come with your
access subscription.

But there are still many difficulties to be addressed!
Jefsey