Re: [icann-eu] LAST CALL: Study Committee Comments.

Dear, Roberto,

You are quite right that I was being sloppy in my use of language,
for which I apologize.  I had a meeting on Sunday from 8am until
9:30pm, and I was quite tired when I read my email afterwards.
I also hope you will forgive my delay in responding. I have been
in non-stop meetings since, and I'm only now writing you from a
plane on my way home.

What I *should* have said was that I respectfully disagree with
your suggestion that we call for the indirect election of the remaining
four at-large representatives.  My concern about holding an indirect
election are that we may end up with people being labelled as
"at-large" representatives who most of us feel do not represent
the at-large membership.

Upon further reflection, I suspect that our seeming disagreement
stems from our images of how indirectly elected at-large Board
members might be selected.  My concern is that we may end up
with people who are similar to the hold-over (as Thomas said,
sometimes referred to as Board Squatters) at-large Board members.
In particular, if we are not planning to oppose the indirect election of
the remaining four Board members, then I believe that we would need
to propose one or more methods for selecting them upon which there
was at least consensus in our group.  I would also urge people to state
that an unsatisfactory selection method would lead to our opposing
any indirect election and calling for direct election.

Finally, I believe that if it is the consensus of this group that direct
elections for all nine Board members are preferable to indirect elections,
then I hope that we will call for direct elections, even if we feel that
there are powerful forces that would oppose such elections.

Regards,
Barbara

P.S.  I suspect I am not the only U.S. citizen who believes that
indirect election is less democratic than direct election.  As you
know, we appear to be about to elect a president who did not
receive the plurality of the vote, because of our indirect (Electoral
College) voting process.  That is what I had in mind when I talked
about "reduce democratic input".