Re: [icann-europe] .kids or .kids.us?

On 2001-07-04 16:28:36 +0200, Volker Leib wrote:

>what do European ICANN members think about the plan of two
>Congressmen to pass a bill that would force ICANN to introduce the
>gTLD .kids? In my opinion, a national parliament can only
>legislate a domain within their ccTLD, in this case .kids.us.
>(Just logically, I know that the rules for registrations in .us
>would have to be changed and that some politicians in the US do
>not recognize the international perspective and view ICANN as an
>American organization.)

It's a nice confirmation of just about all the prejudices a European
could possibly have about American legislators, isn't it?

Note, in particular, how they seem to try to take .eu (or any other
ccTLD which may have to be added) as hostage:

	SEC. 3. SELECTION PROCESS FOR OPERATOR OF NEW DOMAIN.

	[...]

	(d) PRIORITY FOR ESTABLISHMENT OF DOMAIN.

		(1) ICAAN. A plan in accordance with this section
	shall provide that ICANN may not establish any top-level
	generic or country code Internet domain that has not already
	been approved by ICANN on or before the date of the
	enactment of this Act until after the new domain provided
	for under such plan has been established.

		(2) DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE. The Secretary of
	Commerce may not approve, through the National
	Telecommunications Information Administration or otherwise,
	the establishment of any toplevel generic or country code
	Internet domain that has not already been approved by ICANN
	on or before the date of the enactment of this Act until
	after the new domain has been established pursuant to a plan
	in accordance with this section.

It's fascinating - and ridiculous.

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/