RE: [icann-europe] .kids or .kids.us?

Roeland Meyer wrote on 04.07.01, 14:49:33:
>> From: Wolfgang Kleinwächter [mailto:wolfgang.medienstadt@okay.net]
>> a good question which leads directly to the legal status of
>> ICANN. When I
>> saw the news on .kids my first reaction was that this could become an
>> interesting case to clarify whether ICANN is out of control of the US
>> government or not.
>
> You start with a fundimental flaw. The ICANN doesn't control what goes into
> the root-zone. The US department of Commerce does. The ICANN ONLY makes
> recommendations. That the DOC choses to listen, is accidental. From that,
> the Internet is still under US control. Any other interpretation is
> self-delusional.

Fortunately from an international perspective, the US
Department of Commerce's interference with ICANN's decisions
has recently been minimal, with the notable exception of the
VeriSign deal. The pressure exercised in the last letter
was subtle and appropriate.

Unfortunately, there are Congressmen who disagree with the
internationalization of DNS management (or don't understand what
their proposed bill amounts to). Fortunately, I don't think
this initiative will get very far.

But -- and I know Volker reads the ec-pop list, too :) --
it is equally unfortunate that the Europeans still don't get
/their/ act together. Frankly, if they don't even manage to get
their .eu TLD up and running, any call for a European
alternative to ICANN seems a bit rash to me.

Best regards,
/// Alexander