Re: [icann-europe] Re:ALSC publishes final draft

On 28 Aug 2001, at 8:05, Mike Roberts wrote:

> At 15:52 +0200 8/28/01, Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:
> >Dear all,
>
> <snip>
>

> >* general financing: There should be more creativity in finding resources
> >which go beyond a membership fee. I repeat my proposal for the establishment
> >of an "independent fund" which would invite private donations, contributions
> >from members of other ICANN constituencies and even from governments.
> >Governments should be interested in an self-organized at large membership
> >which will work towards the protection of global public interests in the
> >management of the Internet. This would not be a misuse of taxpayers money.

We, meaning NAIS, are thinking about alternative funding sources too. I don't see
though how governments could actually fund a body such as the At Large. This would
probably need some sort of formal interface between an At Large organization and the
respective governments. I am not sure we would want that. Might have all sorts of
undesirable side effects.

jeanette