Re: [icann-europe] Re: [ecdiscuss] Re: [icann-europe] European RootServer System

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, at 15:45 [=GMT+0200], Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> hmmm.... It seems that most did not understand the issue on the European
> Root Server System.
>
> 1. obviously this has nothing to do with domain names.
> 2. this has also nothing to do with root file.
> 3. this obviously does not "split" the world nor the internet, to the
> countray it helps it not to be split in time of crisis.
> 4. this is already implemented at several ccTLDs, China and USG (mil),
> extranets and ISPs
> 5. this has only to do with availablity of a key service to our policy,
> security and economy.
>
> This service is the real time response to querries to a 1909 lines 89.670
> character table available to all via FTP, 60% of these querries resulting
> from typos. This architectural oddity of the 80s results from a totla lack
> of interest of everyone in this file until Joe Sims decided to use it as a
> tool for ICANN power and money. Like if you sent the shuttle in the space
> using cobol programs.
>
> It is obvious that secondary root server systems are necessary. Question is
> not yes/not. Question are why when? why how? who can benefit from it, why?
> Who should foot the bill? Do we put that into the ITU/T deal or not? Do we
> put that issue under ".eu" supervision? Which technolgy to use: European or
> developped and licensed by MS/Verisign?

If I understand you, the problem you point at, can be solved by
secondarying root on resolving nameservers. I guess that there are
already ISPs doing that. The root-zone does not change much. If you
refresh it on a weekly basis over ftp, you will be on the safe side.