Re: [icann-europe] European Root Server System

> Different root systems is a tautology - you can only have one root, if
> there are more they aren't roots and you can place a root above them!

I think what you are getting at here is the distinction between a technical
root and a virtual root. it would be possible (though not necessarily
desirable) to have multiple technical roots (as the ICANN PSO accepted here
http://www.pso.icann.org/PSO_Statements/PSO-Statements-28September2001.txt).
The fact that the possibility of multiple technical roots is being discussed
seriously is a measure of the pragmatic difficulties in trying to operate
with only a single technical root in a global Internet. As Jefsey and others
have pointed out, depending on how you define a root system, there are
already multiple root systems deployed in some areas on the Internet without
any concrete examples of problems thus far.

I have often felt that some elements (particularly those within the DNSO)
have sometimes deliberately avoided accepting this reality as expressed by
the PSO.

It also might be worth involving some of the ITU people like Richard Hill in
such discussions what with their experience in running the E.164 numbering
scheme which operates with a technically distributed root.

andy duff

P.S. before I get slammed as writing on behalf of New.net, you should know I
don't work for them anymore. Just using the email address for a couple more
days...