Re: [icann-europe] European Root Server System

Andy and all,

  Thanks Andy for this update with some good pointers.  As you likely
know, SROOTS was reviewed by Jon Postel in 1994.  We did our
first deployment in that same year and then backed it off in mid year
1994.  Jon was suitably impressed at the time but said to me on
a phone conversation that he felt that SROOTS and our than Beta
BindPlus was perhaps premature and could be viewed as dangerous
by the ISOC.  I was at the time very puzzled at his comment
but was able to convince our BoD at the time that we should
shelve SROOTS and BindPlus for the time being.  That I know
now was a huge mistake! :(  However in early 1996 we again
redeployed SROOTS and BindPlus and made it available for
very specific distribution ( I won't elaborate on this further here ).
In any event along with our Interface Facility Protocol we
have sense increased such deployment.

  Be all this as it may however, I along with as you know a growing
number of other stakeholders no longer support a Single Root
structure as it is quite vulnerable to several different destabilizing
problems that we all have only seem the tip of the iceberg
thus far.  We also support New.net's efforts for a diversified
Registry and Root structure.

Andy Duff wrote:

> > Different root systems is a tautology - you can only have one root, if
> > there are more they aren't roots and you can place a root above them!
>
> I think what you are getting at here is the distinction between a technical
> root and a virtual root. it would be possible (though not necessarily
> desirable) to have multiple technical roots (as the ICANN PSO accepted here
> http://www.pso.icann.org/PSO_Statements/PSO-Statements-28September2001.txt).
> The fact that the possibility of multiple technical roots is being discussed
> seriously is a measure of the pragmatic difficulties in trying to operate
> with only a single technical root in a global Internet. As Jefsey and others
> have pointed out, depending on how you define a root system, there are
> already multiple root systems deployed in some areas on the Internet without
> any concrete examples of problems thus far.
>
> I have often felt that some elements (particularly those within the DNSO)
> have sometimes deliberately avoided accepting this reality as expressed by
> the PSO.
>
> It also might be worth involving some of the ITU people like Richard Hill in
> such discussions what with their experience in running the E.164 numbering
> scheme which operates with a technically distributed root.
>
> andy duff
>
> P.S. before I get slammed as writing on behalf of New.net, you should know I
> don't work for them anymore. Just using the email address for a couple more
> days...
>
> --

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827