Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership records Re: [atlarge-discuss] Point of personal privilege -- I'm ...

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:51:04 -0400, you wrote:

>At 16:04 +0200 2002/08/05, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>>Even if we're not able to supply mailboxes or even e-mail forwarding
>>(which could become bandwidth-consuming if widely used by hundreds of
>>people) we could possibly have on the site a "personal account"
>>section where you can supply and edit your updated personal data (with
>>perhaps some exceptions for data subject to verification, ie a
>>member's own name). In the end, we could integrate everything there,
>>from forum access to voting booth (even if we have to consider that
>>not everybody has web access - some can just use e-mail).
>
>Exactly why it would be helpful to be able to provide people with free, non-ad-ridden e-mail accounts, even if the mailboxes themselves were small.

Among the things I've done in my life, I've been running for three
years the personal mail and web server for the students of my
University. Technically it's easy to set up and manage this kind of
services - but you can't imagine the amount of work it generates in
term of "customer care", people doing any kind of mess with their
mailboxes, spam complaints, etc. So I wouldn't overlook the effort
related to this. Simple e-mail forwards are less problematic, but
still there is the need for careful consideration of all aspects
involved.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------