Re: [atlarge-discuss] Chair

Lighten up Danny. The system so far works like this. There is an election for a steering committee (board/panel, whatever it is called). That is the elected body that makes decisions on behalf of the group. This board/panel has a 1 year term. It has to elect a chair. The membership is discussing that decision, which I think is fine. This is a new effort that has a lot of work to do, including getting a charter or whatever it is called approved by the membership....

I don't know what you mean by "true leaders." Is this something from the Lion King? Right now what you see is what you get. And after less than 24 hours... don't expect the moon.

Jamie

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
I find this whole discussion about the "panel" selecting a "chair", an "alternate chair", and a "secretary" to be rather intriguing...

Most other organizations allow their membership to directly elect their administrators who then convene panels and committees to get the job done. Here the converse appears to be true, and panelists are now jockeying to secure prominent leadership positions.

I don't recall the membership authorizing this panel to act in this manner. You were elected as a team, as a unit, to complete the work unfinished by the first interim panel. This representative panel model is akin to that of the Iroquois Tribal Council, a true confederacy, in which each of you is but one voice among equals that together act on the basis of unanimity if possible, and consensus otherwise.

If the membership had wanted a "spokesperson" or a "chair" or a "leader" by any other name, then it would have acted to directly elect such a person... but it couldn't... for reasons of legitimacy it wanted to operate within the rubric of bylaws and a membership-approved charter that would provide for such elections. You panelists are only placeholders. You are there solely to ensure that the membership has the bylaws that will allow them to elect their true leaders. You weren't elected to become a de facto ruling junta. Keep that in mind.

------
James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love@cptech.org
voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040