Re: [atlarge-discuss] Chair

At 10:39 PM 06/08/02 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

...and just where is it written that the panel has to
elect a chair?  And, if so, why should the panel and not
the membership be the group that does the electing?  Who
approved these indirect elections?
I don't think it is unreasonable to have a position of
Chair, and I don't think it is unreasonable to have the
panel choose its own Chair. The position is Chair of the
Panel, not the at-large. I don't see that Chair position
as properly a spokesperson position for the at-large or
other potential mission creep. If the at-large Panel
decides on a public statement, hopefully with visible
support from other members, perhaps someone, and someone
other than Chair, perhaps even a non-Panel member, could
be designated Press Liaison. One doesn't want to see too
much power concentrated in one position.

The Chair position can, and I submit should, be the role
of a panel facilitator, someone to move discussion along.
Someone to act in the role of servant, not master. Someone
who may not even want the position but takes it on as a
duty, a task to be undertaken and performed, not as a
leadership position of a diverse group. If the latter is
the case, and deemed necessary, open elections for such
a position to all the membership.

Rather than the peak of a pyramid for all tasks the Chair
should be seen as the center of a star for certain tasks.
Someone with strongly held majority (or minority) views on
numerous issues might not be the best person to occupy this
position. I have no particular person in mind when I make
that statement. I'm just making the observation that the
Panel and membership should cast a wary eye on anyone
overly covetous of such a position.

I would also suggest that the Chair position be non-voting,
perhaps even in the event of an otherwise tied vote, and
if it isn't clear who might be the best person to occupy
it, and/or to keep it from becoming a center of power, and/or
a source of friction, one could rotate the position amongst
Panel members, perhaps monthly, preferably via some near-
random process less open to abuse, such as alphabetically.

After all, if it is just a task which needs doing, why not
share it? My comments would also hold true for an Alt Chair
position. If you're going to have a Chair, you might as well
have an Alt Chair for backup.

Just some thoughts from a non-member, though given the mostly
high quality (I don't know some of them) of the elected Panel,
I'm now considering joining :) -g