Re: [atlarge-discuss] Web hosting and webmaster

Sotiris and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

  You know Sotiris's is right on both points here everyone...
Especially in his first point...  The Domain Name change for
this At-Large effort may indeed need to change.

  But I would point out that in the mean time, with Sotiris, Eric,
and currently Bret hosting the DN we have, the need to move
right away of the ICANNATLARGE.COM DN or it's
Web Pages to another DN, is not eminent or a necessity.

  In Sotiris's point #2, also a realistic and normal concern regardless
of whom has been the Web master, changing the passwords
and login's is just good security policy...

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> Bret Fausett wrote:
>
> >No one needs to host it, only maintain it. I prepaid several hundred dollars
> >for a year's hosting services, so that's taken care of through the end of
> >June, 2003. There's no reason we couldn't move the hosting services as well,
> >but we're set for for the near term without further expense from anyone. All
> >the new webmaster needs is a the login ID and password and he/she can work
> >on the site remotely.
> >
> >    -- Bret
> >
> >Hans Klein wrote:
> >

> >>I have made some inquiries within CPSR as to whether our tech people could
> >>host the ICANNatlarge.com site and perform webmaster duties.
> >>
> >>As this is pretty resource intensive, I can't make a commitment up
> >>front.  But it might be a reliable solution to the web site question.
> >>
> >>If they say yes, I will propose it for more formal consideration.
> >>
> >>Hans
> >>

> Bret et al.,
>
> 2 points on this issue:
>
> 1) This discussion may be academic as we may be headed for a domain/name
> change, as the Panel will be considering this matter shortly.  In the
> event that a new name is chosen, there is no requirement that we use the
> same host.  Plus, I am willing to provide the hosting service free of
> charge.
>
> 2) I am sure many would be uncomfortable with simply changing the
> webmaster from Joop to anyone else without changing the ftp/ssh
> login/password.  Joop has already shown us that he's willing to
> disregard propriety when it comes to member email lists and I would be
> very uncomfortable knowing he had any sort of access to the site back-end.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827