RE: [atlarge-discuss] Web hosting and webmaster

Joop Teernstra wrote:

>The Panel has to be leery of proposals that put the hosting and webmaster
>role in the same hands.
>
>Avoid capture. Avoid the single point of failure. Distribute the controls.

Indeed.  The smartest concept the US Foundng Fathers conceived of was
separation of powers.  The same should be true of funds when the time comes.

>Make sure the Domain (whichever one is chosen) ends up registered to the
>incorporated organization.

Yes.  I'd even go so far to say we should be willing to recoup the cost of
any domain turned over to us, if necessary, to avoid conflicts.  But in any
event, I agree with Joop that the owner in the WHOIS should be the
organization, not an individual.

BTW, no reflection on Bret, who has graciously hosted our site to date.  Nor
to imply that he has ever asked for recompense (I don't think he'd take it
even if we offered!).  He's just one of several people (including Joop!) who
volunteered their time, money, skills and considerable system resources to
make this organization a reality, and we all owe every one of them a debt of
gratitude.

Now that we are nearly organized, we will continue to need voluntary
assistance in *so* many areas.  So please: offer your time, volunteer for
committees as they are formed, and offer to take up the burden of providing
and/or maintaining a part of our permanent infrastructure.  Many of you have
done so already, and to you: Thanks, and God bless!  To the rest: please
step up!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info