Re: [atlarge-discuss] Before too much Appreciation and Congratulation happens...

YJ you are funny -

Before we all pat ourselves on the back for the successful election (of
which by the way I very very am thankful I was not elected), I have to ask
some stupid questions.

    1)    What is this organization to actually do since it is not an ICANN
            Sanctioned organization?

See also YJ's commentary on being dumped by ICANN below...

    2)    What are the specific milestones that will show it is
accomplishing
            the higher goal(s) of #1.

    3)    How is it to accomplish these facilities... and more important
           why?. What are the yields to the membership as a whole...
            This last one is VERY important for obvious reasons

    4)    What is the representation infrastructure to look like?.

    5)    What are the steps to take to get "there".

None of which were answered before the election by any of the candidates at
less than 500,000 feet. And if the method of this group is that it will work
out
these goals and processes as it goes along, I and many others will be
leaving
this group because it will not be delivering what it promised or even
intimated
it would be... see I want to know what I am buying into since this is no
less than
the third incarnation of this WG effort.

What I think we got from this election is an elected body that
we are now going to constrain with a set of ground rules that have not been
written yet. This is a prime example of getting not only the cart before the
horse, but of the driver we hired only knowing how to drive buffalo.

This is more than some non-specific arm chair hand waving, it is about
charging off, ala Don Quixote' style, and having basically the same results.
ICANN is not afraid of us, ICANN thinks its amusing if they think anything
(right Vint). So how will this organization effect change in ICANN and the
global namespace dilemmas?

For what its worth, that was the only reason I agreed to run myself. That
being because I personally had answers for most of these questions. What I
see now is that virtually none of the elected board members do today, nor
did they prior to the election, or what they did have was orthogonal ones
where the overlap was their "personal part"s of this effort. The failure of
the election committee to ask or demand answers to these questions also
speaks to its incompetence and the flaws in the organizations management as
well. And FYI - I had formally planned to resign immediately if I was
elected because of the failing of the elections process.

No, my feeling is that there are 1000 people as individuals with good intent
and a management team that hasn't the faintest idea of what its doing or how
to get there. Further I heard no one of these individuals ask any of the
above questions which means to me that they, the 1000 members, also as a
group, have no idea of what it needs or wants...

I strongly suggest that before anything else happens that the above 5
questions need to be answered and some form of governance model
needs to be fabricated that addresses individual members representation,
and that each seated director/board member
should answer them both as to what the organization should do and what its
milestones are, and then their own personal ones. And that will be the true
measure of what ICANNatLarge got out of the election... Then we can start
putting plans inplace for how to achieve these goals...

And that this is the best thing that our newly elected board can do for us
as
a group.

Todd Glassey