[atlarge-discuss] stalinatlarge.com (was Re: [atlarge-discuss] Chair)

This is a good example of "democracy" as they meant it in the USSR.
First, all attempts to discuss an unitary solution are refused, and
the dissenting people are attacked on a personal level by insinuating
that they are cheaters, by stating falsities about their past
behaviour, and by distorting their thought. Then, a panel member says:
"Why do we need to bother about process, rules of order etc.? Let's
just vote!". Then the vote starts, and another person - not even a
panel member - stands up and calls the result; and immediately all
those who voted start congratulating one with the other. Dissenting
members of the panel have not even been given the time to cast their
vote for the records.

I know (I hope) that most panel members didn't mean to act like this -
and I know that there is now a clear majority (not a consensus) in
favour of Joanna. But democracy can't be just a word you fill your
mouth with while trying to grab the centre of the stage for yourself.
Democracy requires a number of fundamental principles, such as respect
for dissenters, respect for the rules, and understanding that some
issues are better solved by reaching widely supported agreements,
rather than by rushed majority votes. I stated since my first message
that I did *not* think that I was the only possible Chair, and that we
should find the most supported solution. Up to now, from the new Chair
I've only received back personal attacks that remind closely of those
by Joe Sims and other ICANN "professionals".

--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------