Re: [atlarge-discuss] stalinatlarge.com (was Re: [atlarge-discuss] Chair)

Vittoro,

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> This is a good example of "democracy" as they meant it in the USSR.

Oh, I see, so you accept voting results only when they are in your favour, is that
it?  So now you wish to disparage the process and liken it to the USSR?  Sorry
Vittorio, but you were outvoted by seven members of the 11 member panel.  I
suggest you get over it... fast.  It's now time to get some work done, something
which simply did not happen when you were at the helm.

> First, all attempts to discuss an unitary solution are refused, and
> the dissenting people are attacked on a personal level by insinuating
> that they are cheaters, by stating falsities about their past
> behaviour, and by distorting their thought.

Your past behaviour speaks for itself, I'm afraid, so there's really no need to
misrepresent it.

> Then, a panel member says:
> "Why do we need to bother about process, rules of order etc.? Let's
> just vote!".

The Panel Member in question was just trying to ensure that the election of Chair
happened within the 1 week period which you yourself (as well as the last panel)
accepted as the "process" for Chair selection.  Not to mention that you were
trying to delay and pervert the workings of the Panel by attempting to hold a
secret ballot vote among the panel for the position of Chair, thereby undermining
the Panel's openess and transparency.  Furthermore, not a single Panel member has
spoken up in support of your position.  The fact that the vote went ahead stands
as good faith evidence of the desire for transparent process and accountability
among the present panel.

> Then the vote starts, and another person - not even a
> panel member - stands up and calls the result; and immediately all
> those who voted start congratulating one with the other.

The results were clear for everyone to see, I was simply the first to recognize
them.

> Dissenting
> members of the panel have not even been given the time to cast their
> vote for the records.

They are still free to voice their dissent.  They will simply have to be accepted
as a minority opinion amongst the Panel.

> I know (I hope) that most panel members didn't mean to act like this -
> and I know that there is now a clear majority (not a consensus) in
> favour of Joanna. But democracy can't be just a word you fill your
> mouth with while trying to grab the centre of the stage for yourself.
> Democracy requires a number of fundamental principles, such as respect
> for dissenters, respect for the rules, and understanding that some
> issues are better solved by reaching widely supported agreements,
> rather than by rushed majority votes. I stated since my first message
> that I did *not* think that I was the only possible Chair, and that we
> should find the most supported solution.

Joanna Lane IS the most supported solution, I suggest you get used to the idea and
get prepared to get down to some work for a change.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos