Re: [atlarge-discuss] stalinatlarge.com (was Re: [atlarge-discuss] Chair)

Vittorio and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

  I have on many occasions agreed with you on a number of issues
and various points as you know Vittorio, but not on this...

  Your sounding/reading like sour grapes to me anyway in your
comments below..

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> This is a good example of "democracy" as they meant it in the USSR.
> First, all attempts to discuss an unitary solution are refused, and
> the dissenting people are attacked on a personal level by insinuating
> that they are cheaters, by stating falsities about their past
> behaviour, and by distorting their thought. Then, a panel member says:
> "Why do we need to bother about process, rules of order etc.? Let's
> just vote!". Then the vote starts, and another person - not even a
> panel member - stands up and calls the result; and immediately all
> those who voted start congratulating one with the other. Dissenting
> members of the panel have not even been given the time to cast their
> vote for the records.
>
> I know (I hope) that most panel members didn't mean to act like this -
> and I know that there is now a clear majority (not a consensus) in
> favour of Joanna. But democracy can't be just a word you fill your
> mouth with while trying to grab the centre of the stage for yourself.
> Democracy requires a number of fundamental principles, such as respect
> for dissenters, respect for the rules, and understanding that some
> issues are better solved by reaching widely supported agreements,
> rather than by rushed majority votes. I stated since my first message
> that I did *not* think that I was the only possible Chair, and that we
> should find the most supported solution. Up to now, from the new Chair
> I've only received back personal attacks that remind closely of those
> by Joe Sims and other ICANN "professionals".
>
> On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 17:48:46 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Joanna Lane has been elected as Chair by a supermajority of 7 of 11 Panel
> >Members.
> >
> >In favour of Joanna:
> >
> >Satyajit Gupta
> >Jamie Love
> >Judith Oppenheimer
> >Joanna Lane
> >Vivek Durai
> >Richard Henderson
> >Michael Geist
> >
> >Which constitutes 64% of the Panel.  This appears to be the will of the newly
> >elected Panel.
>
> --
> vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827