RE: [atlarge-discuss] Latin America and Africa

Mira che..
que bueno que me lo digas..
por lo menos en espaņol es mas facil...

Vamos a poner el hombro, pero que tengan en cuenta el "panel"
que deben trabajar fuerte, porque la gente espera muchisimo de ellos.

Un abrazo.. y cuando quieran, caiganse por Lima, un ceviche los espera.

saludos

Erick

At 05:44 p.m. 09/08/2002 -0700, Bruce Young wrote:
Erick Iriarte Ahon:

>Some people from this community (i think is the real word) think is
>necesary make "some kind" of space for a global representantion, we don't
>have people from Africa and Latin America in the "panel".
>
>To have consecuense with our words, is necessary take some decisions.

I don't know that having or not having representation on the panel will be
that important, compared to representation on the committees that will doing
the hard work to build and monitor our processes.  The panel members are
just coordinators and "cheerleaders,"  while the committee members will be
the actual people developing the policies and processes the membership will
validate.  I would suggest that you find some of your regional members who
are willing to work on these committees as the panel stands them up, and
have them volunteer to do so!

Particularly in the outreach effort, which I have voulenteered to assist
Richard Henderson with, it will be vital that we have members "on the
ground" in every region of the world willing to talk to the press,
professional organizations, labor unions, etc., if we're ever going to build
our membership.  Latin American members willing to serve in such a position
will be invaluable to our outreach efforts, and can dramatically increase
your region's representation in our membership roles.  *The electorate* is
where the true power resides in any democracy!  And if your local outreach
efforts are successful this year, *next* year your region will have a much
greater influence on the election results!

>Maybe our first mistake is don't said this when be in election time, but
never is late.

If I remember correctly, other very qualified nominees from other regions
were also disqualified for failing to accept in time, and others' chances of
being elected were greatly reduced because they missed the posting deadline
for statements.  The compressed schedule is partially to blame here, I know!
But fairness dictates that election deadlines and timetables must be adhered
to.

>I don't want to put nobody that don't be elected for the "people", but we
>need to think in a posibility to have "advisor" (put the name that you
>want) from Latin America and from Africa.

In my opinion, every member who posts in this e-mail list or the Web forum
is an advisor to the panel!  So in that respect, you need only have them
speak up!  And they needn't do so necessarily in English! We've had some
folks volunteer to do translations from other languages, and I imagine
Spanish can certianly be one of them!  But, once again, I feel they can make
the biggest difference by volunteering and serving on the committees that
will be doing the real work of this organization.

If you've followed the conversations here, and the in ALSC forum that
preceded it, you'll know that I am a relentless advocate for diversity, not
just regionally and/or ethnically, but economically as well!  Without it we
have no credibility to be able to state that we represent the Internet users
of the world.  However, that said, although I'd be the first to call for
great diversity on the panel, I'm also a firm believer that when the
electorate has spoken, we accept their will and attempt to make it happen.
That is a person's obligation in any democracy, whether you be an elected
official or citizen.  Now that our electorate has spoken, and our Panel is
chosen, it's time to accept the results and press on with the hard work
ahead of us.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
Bruce@barelyadequate.info