[atlarge-discuss] Part 1 - Re: [atlarge-discuss] Incorporation & Marginally Useful Insects

Sunday, August 11, 2002 * 2:28 PM EDT USA

Jeff, Todd, Eric & Bruce (& Everyone -- all save Bruce, in response to my post at http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00468.html since he fired me up in the first place ;-) ):

At 09:10 PM 8/10/2002 -0700, Jeff Williams wrote (in abbreviated form):
Joey and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

Some entering the legal profession do so with the long term goal
of becoming a politician.  It is one career path for Lawyers...
The overwhelming preponderance of U.S. Congressmen, Senators, and all of the various State legislatures are lawyers. Could there be anything even slightly wrong with this picture?

This seems a bit of an extreme point of view.  First the medical
community is by no means a monopoly.  Second the pharmaceutical
industry especially in the past few years, is no monopoly either as
new pharmaceutical companies have come along over the past
5 years that are quite good...  Inclone of course is not one of those
good ones...  >;)
Extreme? Perhaps.

If so, it may be an extreme reaction to extreme conditions.

More likely its people's views that it's extreme because it's outside the permissibly thinkable, let alone expressible. It sets off the alarm bells of fear, of the not previously thought or spoken. It has the quality of heresy, and I will surely be damned for thinking and saying these things, and if others are not careful to cry out heretic they will surely burn in hell along with me. ;-)

I'll be clearer about my assertion of monopoly or monopolistic practices as briefly and as "extremely" as I can.

First, the pharmaceutical industry is extended extremely long-term patents on life-saving drugs and only they (at least in this county) can produce those drugs. There is no requirement that they license production of the drug to others. That's monopoly! Rather transparently justified as covering their research and development costs supposedly, when most drugs come out of public and university health research.

What do you think the threat by world governments, such as South Africa and now a host of others, to produce AIDS drugs, e.g., generically is about, and why our national policy has become to rush in and save the day for the drug industry with various threats and finally concession agreements. That's a response to threat against monopoly.

How is it that I can buy the prescription drug Lipitor at 30% below U.S. prices out of Hong Kong, by the same manufacturers?

Second, the fact that in this country I cannot buy necessary medications without a doctor's prescription (which adds to the cost of the other monopoly by the way) is a monopolistic practice. That I cannot get an x-ray without a doctor's prescription is monopolistic.

Those drugs I buy from Hong Kong are without my doctor's prescription (oh yes he writes them, but I don't need them nor the added expense of my seeing him as often). If I were in Mexico, or had a friend there to do it for me, I could walk into any pharmacy and buy anything I needed without prescription. The same in Taiwan. And at a fraction of the cost.

In most of the world the greatest numbers of babies are born without an attending physician or hospitalization. Many are just "dropped" in the dirt. Do you know that dirt doesn't hurt new borns? Or with midwives or family members in attendance

Try that here. Giving birth is not even a disease, but we treat it like one, regardless of the health of the mother and the in utero infant. How do you think this comes to be?

Rather effectively marketed need to be answered by a monopolistic practice. And for all that we don't even have the world's lowest infant mortality rate!

Ahh, now I get to my favorite, to talk about the practice and profession of law.

Do you know there wasn't always a Bar? That there weren't law schools. How did we ever get along?!

People interested in the profession simply hung out with, apprenticed themselves to lawyers, people grown famous for their "practice" of law.

As late as when I was in law school in 1967, one could still learn THE LAW that way, and qualify for the tests. There was such a young man in my law classes, taking the classes he was interested in, not to get the degree or status, but to get the knowledge he sought and otherwise could not get in Pittsburgh of those days any other way.

Day in, day out, he worked with lawyers learning the law, and otherwise was a parking garage attendant.

Ah you say, but things change, and the law changes, and things get more complex and so on and so on and so on.

You bet they do, but not quite in the way you think. Everyone intuitively understands the needless complexity and overreach of law. It used to be single greatest cause of that complexity was simply its historicity. American law, particularly real estate, tort law and contract law is precedential, based all the way back to William the Conqueror.

These days legal complexity is insured by the profession itself having monopolistic control over the passage of law itself via their preponderance of seats at all levels of government, not merely the Congress and State legislatures.

The fact of the matter is that much of the arcane complexity of the practice of law could be eliminated with the stroke of a pen. But don't expect them to do it. They could, but they won't.

The AMA, ABA, and APA (American Pharmaceutical Association -- I dare not add the MCAA do I? ;-) ) are even more effective than the Teamsters Union in staying on top of what they have and getting more of what they want. And they're no schlepps.

That's monopoly power at work.

Interesting view and comparison.   Thankfully it(Your view) is not
widely shared...
Yeah, well, I don't mind standing alone. I've done that most of my life in one way or another. ;-) Come to think of it, maybe it's the other way around and that frees me to think the the "unthinkable." May it always be so.
(...continued in part 2)