Re: [atlarge-discuss] Why do users need a place at the table?

Giampaolo and all stakeholders of other interested parties and members,

Giampaolo Bonora wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 02:26:27 EDT, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> >From Ross Rader's blog at byte.org:  "Why do users need a place at the table?"
> >  [...]
> >Any thoughts on this commentary?
>
> Danny,
> this list is an answer, as well as mailing lists on everything you can
> think, webforums, weblogs hosted somewhere and so on.
>
> >I have a related question for the group:  If "users" are to be represented in
> >ICANN, should all users (and not just domain name registrants) be expected to
> >fund ICANN's activities?  Does this imply establishing contracts with the one
> >"provider" group that is not yet under contract, the ISPs, so as to have a
> >vehicle for the receipt of such funds?
>
> This is more complex question, not so pressing IMO. It's normal that
> users have different views on this.
> Everything goes through domain names, hence one solution.

  Well not EVERYTHING goes through Domain Names.  Some
stakeholders/users us just IP addresses for instance...

> This way, registrars feel theirselves as collectors and can complains
> because are they are unable to distinguish very different situations
> under their flat contribution.
> To raise funds from access instead of domain name ownership is indeed
> possible; apart some theoretical issues, the ISPs may have some
> practical experience in doing so.

  Very true here.  In fact, a number of NGO's also have this
experience as well...

> Frankly, this is not the users' main concern. They are interested to pay
> the less and to avoid mandatory contributions if they are active instead
> of passive. And they are entitled no less than any other to ask: 'funds
> for what?'
> Just some personal thoughts.

  Good point here as well...  One should always ask questions if they
have questions to ask.  There is no such thing as a bad or stupid
question unless you are reluctant or don't ask it...