[atlarge-discuss] Atlarge-discuss Summary 18 Aug - 24 Aug 2002

atlarge-discuss list
Archives: http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/

Summary, 18 Aug 2002 - 24 Aug 2002
Nearly 250 messages from 33 senders

Joanna Lane asked Joop Teernstra as acting webmaster to remove an entry
without name - only firm's name and generic job description - from the
list of members registred at icannatlarge.com. In a subsequent message
she also considered the possible objection that in this way anonymous
contributions could be discouraged.

>So, to recap, the view from here is that at this early stage, only
>individuals who are willing to go through an ID process get votes, and not
>those hiding behind corporations or other organizations, and that WG-ID is
>being set up to help us clarify those issues and develop appropriate
>policies that first and foremost protect the public interest - not the
>corporate paymasters.

[Vittorio Bertola sended on Aug. 20 the initial message of WG-ID working
group: http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00889.html]
In this thread there were agreements with Joanna and discussion on the
problems raised in this case, notably the difference between anonymous
speech and vote, and the consequences of free speeching in different
countries. Bruce Young, noting that "there are people living in parts of
the world whose complete participation may depend on their government
not knowing who they are", wrote:

>I'd even go so far as to say that, unless political exigencies mandate it,
>we should permanently stick to real names.  For those in localities where
>free speech could lead to jail time (or worse!), we probably need a
>pseudonym process, where members can participate with a unique, consistent
>"pen name" that protects their true identity.

A similar thread continued specifically about the use of proxies, with
different opinions. Walter Schmidt:
>   ...as an alternate suggestion:
> "A tells B - B quotes A but does not give identity of A"
Sotiris Sotiropoulos:
>Nobody is going to be a proxy for anyone else when it comes to
>voting. Voting members will have been properly and duly verified and
>identified and YES some of their personal info must needs be stored in the
>organization's member database.
Sotiris proposes to evaluate soon the concept of Web of Trust and asked
for other opinions answering to Vittorio's position:

Roberto Roggiero, joining WG-Outreach, wrote:
>I think it is not only important to define the name of our Organization, but also the
>Vision and Mision of the Organization. IMO these are key elements to start any
>outreach effort, and the basis for any publicity materials.

YJ Park posted the Draft Agenda for the August 20 Panel Teleconference,
and JFC. Morfin exposed his reasons for not participate, asking for
comment about his ideas:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00854.html

Later, he confirmed his opinion that this is an expensive and
centralizated-network orientated tool, giving other opinions and his
position in case of panel vote under this system.

After the teleconference, Joanna sended quickly to this list a minute
she wrote with Richard Henderson:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00923.html

Before and after the teleconference the discussion continued about the
Organisation's name.
Sunday 18 Joanna proposed a panel resolution to choose, and to be sure
to have members' support.
Vivek Durai asked for an amendment to not include the TLD in the name.
The subsequent discussion reflects how much one would stay away from
ICANN beginning from the name.
According Jefsey this is not on top of  our priorities:
>we have no other name that @large :-) The rest is detail [...]
>We do not need a name. We have one for a long the other try to steal from us.
>We only need domain names for a site we delay....
he repropose, with some agreements, his idea of regionalized At Large
entities all pointing to the international body.

The Report to the ERC from the ALAC Assistance Group, posted by Vittorio
Bertola, started hot discussions in parallel threads.

Danny Younger made use of heavy words to comment this assistance, and in
a separate thread:
>There is, however, a need for a Supporting Organization that can serve as an umbrella group for
>*all* other user groups within ICANN [...]
>I would propose a roundtable conference to launch a Supporting Organization.

Paul noted the regional representation, in his opinion the only way to
ensure that the interest of users worldwide are represented in a
workable way:
>The problem with one man one vote is that the voice of the
>regions with the highest internet penetration may well
>drown all other voices, in a tyranny of the majority.
This lead to reactions, to which Paul replied that even at the heart of
the US govt. there is a "regional" provision that gives each state equal
representation still using one person one vote, and, on ICANN debate:
>Certainly one person one vote would be better than the
>current proposals - a few people with ALL the votes.
>Tyranny of the majority might be better than tyranny
>of that particular minority.

Richard posted his detailed analysis of the Report:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg01014.html

The Report, now posted on the official ICANN's site, had other reactions
and comments.
Judith Oppenheimer forwarded to Assistant Secretary Nancy Victory the
comment of Professor Jonathan Weinberg on ICANNwatch as one of the most
concise and spot-on summation of ICANN's At Large activity.

Danny Younger forwarded an excerpt of Ross Rader's blog on Tuesday, and
another on Thursday. Both started a thread with some answers. Ross has
just commented in his blog at byte.org

ISOC bid for .org being favored, Sotiris and Jefsey raised some
questions:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00906.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00984.html

Jefsey nominated Erick Iriarte Ahon to the DNSO election and discussed
with Bradley D. Thornton about the origin of the Internet.

Some other messages, pointers and forwarded materials.