[atlarge-discuss] RE: [atlarge-panel] Vote for Name must happen NOW

Richard,
Comments interspersed below.
Joanna

This would form the basis for the motion, reworded as follows:-

"WHEREAS ordinary people deserve representation over the administration of
the DNS which is a precious worldwide resource".

> 2. We agree that our organisation needs a name.

Similarly, "WHEREAS the Panel agrees that this organization needs a name"

> There has been a problem mandating a VOTE on this issue.
>
> Making an Imperative of what we agree on:
>
> I call on the Chair to send a ballot (through the universal
> membership list)
> with all names which have been formally proposed and made available:

Similarly, "WHEREAS the Panel has agreed by a majority decision to set
criteria for suitable names that may be submitted to the membership for
selection (cite URL of .com Resolution and criteria agreed for submission of
names)

IT IS THEREFORE RESOLVED to ballot the membership on the following names

> internetatlarge.org
> netatlarge.org
> worldatlarge.org
> atlarge.org

(Chair's Notes:

1) icannatlarge.com does not meet the criteria agreed by the Panel, being a
.com name excluded by the .COM Resolution passed by the Panel)

2) Additional information that is pertinent to the choice of name, including
what, if any, defensive registrations may be available, ought to be included
on the ballot. For example, InternetAtLarge is available as .org, .com,
.net. WorldAtlarge is available as .org only. atlarge is available as .org
only and so on.

> On the ballot form, members will be told to send their votes to:
> Bruce Young
> (as wholly trusted and impartial party).

I am happy to take Bruce Young as a wholly trusted member but I really must
insist on an open and publicly archived vote on this issue that may
otherwise be disputed. There is no substitute for an email list to which all
members are subscribed to return their votes. I will take discussion and
suggestions on this point over the next day or so.

> Bruce will then e-mail all receipts to a delegated panel member who will
> return the e-mails to sender (asking them to protest if their
> vote has been
> altered).

No. Please remember the "nobody is indispensable" principal.

> Bruce and the panel member will then independently count the votes and
> report to the discuss list and Webmaster and panel Chair.
>
> eric says: "LOOK for what you AGREE on"
>
> Let's stop messing about - I call on Joanna as trusted Chair to
> go ahead and
> SEND OUT THIS BALLOT in 24 hours, unless 6 panel members protest.

Richard,
You are asking the impossible. I cannot comply with this request because the
webmaster is refusing to release the membership email list to me.

> WE NEED A NAME.
>
> It is imperative.
>
> Please proceed, Joanna, and I resign if we don't get a vote.
>
> Richard

Richard,
It gives me no pleasure to say this, but we can only have a vote when the
webmaster's ability to be obstructive to agreed procedures that do not suit
his personal agenda is annulled.

Regards,
Joanna