Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] Vote for Name must happen NOW

Vittorio and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 22:55:01 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >1) icannatlarge.com does not meet the criteria agreed by the Panel, being a
> >.com name excluded by the .COM Resolution passed by the Panel)
>
> I would keep it, though, as first of all we should be sure that members
> agree that we should change our name. I don't think that the meaning of the
> resolution passed by the panel was "we want to force on the members our idea
> that we should change name" - I think it was rather "if we have to select a
> new name, better take it in .org". So (given also that some members
> requested to keep it) I would make an exception to keep icannatlarge.com on
> the ballot. In fact, while I don't like having a .com name, I shared many of
> Hans's original objections to changing our name in this moment, so I still
> haven't made up my final mind.

  I also concur with Vittorio on this issue in part.  However I don't think
that ICANNATLARGE.COM needs to ba on the ballot, but that
a transition period and plan to the new DN and organization name
needs to be part of that ballot for a vote of the members.  I also
agree with Joanna that using a .COM name is a bad idea for
several obvious reasons, going forward...

> >2) Additional information that is pertinent to the choice of name, including
> >what, if any, defensive registrations may be available, ought to be included
> >on the ballot. For example, InternetAtLarge is available as .org, .com,
> >.net. WorldAtlarge is available as .org only. atlarge is available as .org
> >only and so on.
>
> Agreed. And agreed that votes should be public in some way. Especially,
> agree with Richard that we should have the vote as soon as possible and then
> move on :-)

  I also agree, and this has been discussed to death several times now.
There are a number of different software packages that we can use,
as well as voting services that we can use to do voting with other than
the DNSO GA's arcane method/process.  This should have been job
one some time ago.  My suggestion I still believe gives us a short
and long term excellent voting/ballot system and can be obtained
for free.  See again http://www.surevote.com/