[atlarge-discuss] 003 WG-WEB Judyth's Straw Poll

Judyth wrote:-
> I'm not comfortable taking sides between individuals, especially
> when those individuals are both volunteers working for a cause I
> believe in. That being said, I'm also very UNcomfortable with the
> notion that any one person, elected or otherwise, could assume he
> or she was irreplaceable -- no organization can function well if
> it risks collapse if one person leaves or gets hit by a truck.
>
> That's presumably why we elected a full Panel rather than just
> one person, and why we have a Web working-group rather than leave
> everything to the webmaster. In the absence of our
> yet-to-be-written bylaws, may I ask if we have a consensus on the
> following?

> receipt of a Panel resolution to that effect.
>
> ___ Yes       __X_ No          ___ Abstain
>

> Member Name: Joanna Lane
>
> ---------------

Comments: Years of working in film and television has taught me that it will
be extremely difficult if not impossible to run this website effectively on
a day to day basis by committee. This is one of the areas on which Joop and
I agree. The hurdles to a consensus decision are incompatible with providing
any kind of timely service, especially news orientated.

My suggestion is to appoint three individuals, each with clearly defined
duties. WG-WEB could formulate those job descriptions, solicit volunteers
and recommend suitable individuals for the roles, then the Panel could
endorse/ make the final decision and we would all let them get on with the
job - with the longer term decisions - such as innovative improvements being
made through WG-WEB.

To be fair to Joop, he never had any proper design brief, appropriate
editorial guidance, and he has been doing 3 jobs, which I would describe as
Webmaster, Web Writer and Web Designer. It is hardly surprising to me that
it has all gone a little wrong, but putting a committee to work out the day
to day minutiae, is not the answer IMHO. It would bring something that ought
to be vibrant and innovative to a grinding halt - as a 1000 design and
editorial decisions undergo a procedure equivalent to the election of a
nation state president. It won't fly.

To make a start on this problem a while ago, I drafted job descriptions for
each of the 3 jobs I and posted these to the forum at
http://www.icannatlarge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245&postdays=0&postorder=a
sc&start=15 and http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0208/msg00038.html
together with a (rather wordy) design brief which the Panel/ WG-WEB could
use as a starting point. (I have momentarily mislaid that URL but it appears
a day or so prior to the job descriptions).

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Joanna