[atlarge-discuss] 006 Voluntary List Rules

Mail-List Etiquette

> One doesn't TYPE IN CAPS as it is considered shouting. One doesn't
> initiate a Poll on a mailing list without prior acknowledgment.
>
> Talking about email mail-list etiquette - one should take the time to
> remove unnecessary Cc:s, one should take the time to "edit" quoted text so
> it is at a minimum, and when one is "just" agreeing or disagreeing with a

> Any poster can create a forum poll, email the list of its existance, and
> thereby keep unnecessary to-the-list traffic to a minimum.

I'm happy to support Walts suggestions as voluntary list rules.

In particular, we could use the forum or alternative Polling Booth for Straw
Polls, but I would ask the proponent of such a Poll to please ensure results
are forwarded to the list as a matter of public record after a set time
period.

As it happens, Straw Polls have been used as a key component of consensus
building in the past in ICANN working Groups, so I guess so far as DNSO
netiquette is concerned, it is not considered Spam in quite the same way as
perhaps other fora. It's a device that works well when the group is focused,
and in WG-Review, a working group of some 200-300, it didn't seem much of a
problem to ignore the extra traffic, (not everyone responds and in fact it
is the extent of the response that is a good indicator of whether or not
there is any interest in the idea that is being proposed), but I agree it
may not scale much beyond that number.

Also, if I want to *stress* something, I use *the star key* as a device,
*not* caps. But I do use caps, as you have seen, for titles and sub-titles
when drafting a more formal document, such as a ballot or resolution. The
alternative is to go to HTML email, which repeatedly receives objections
onlist, so I use plain text whenever possible, and if I receive an HTML post
that is not a formal document, but a comment, I will convert to plain text
before replying.

Regards,
Joanna