Re: [atlarge-discuss] STRAW POLL...

Jan and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Jan Siren wrote:

> Jeff Williams wrote:
> >
> > Walter Schmidt wrote:
> >

> > > After all, polls are one reason we have a forum!
> >
> >   Exactly right!  >;)  And this list is that very forum.  Hence it would
> > seem that such a poll as Judyth posted is appropriate in this context.
> >

> No, Jeff, Walt is right here.  This list has only a finite ability to
> accommodate polls.

  How so?  It seems that Judyths poll worked from a technical stand point
pretty well.  Sure, hardly anyone participated, but I believe that Judyths
comments as to why that was so are essentially correct.

>  If there were no other way to take a poll, we'd have
> to use it, willy-nilly.

  Well a willy-nilly use of polling on list is better than a one that
cannot be accessed by all members.  Sure, it's not the perfect
approach, but at least all of the members can access and participate
in a list poll.

>  But the website is the place where anyone can
> initiate a poll on any topic, and obtain a running total at will.

  But again not every member, and especially future members
will be able to access or participate in such a web based poll.
I prefer web polling where it is useful to a list poll BTW, but it
is clear that for instance many potential members such as those
from China would not be able to participate.  Hence, any poll
that was web based may not be accessible to them...

> > > Any poster can create a forum poll, email the list of its existance, and
> > > thereby keep unnecessary to-the-list traffic to a minimum.
> >
> >   Ah, but there is no way that that type of poll would be one that every
> > forum list member could access necessarily.
> >

> That is a problem, as I've pointed out to Joop.  I cannot access the website
> from home - there's some glitch that I am unable to diagnose - but my
> workaround is to go to it from my office.  Not everyone, of course, has that
> alternative.

  Precisely one of several reason as I already pointed out twice now, that
a list poll which BTW are broadly used, is the best way to do polling on
issues that confront us, is accessible to the broadest number of our
members.  Hence it seems that you have argued yourself in a circle
here...  >;)

> An important objective for the panel to address is providing some robust and
> accessible, off-list means for polling the membership.

  This is as the election of the panel members was clear, outside of their
mandate.  Even if that were not the case however, the members need
to decide if and what method they choose to be in keeping with our
democratic principals.  I would suggest that more than one polling
method will eventually be needed or required as to meet the broadest
accessibility of our member...  This will also likely eventually be true
for voting (DIfferent than polling)...