Re: [atlarge-discuss] STRAW POLL...

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Jeff Williams wrote:

> Well no one needs to authorize any member to post a List poll...

   ...but there is such a thing as Mail-List Etiquette

One doesn't TYPE IN CAPS as it is considered shouting. One doesn't
initiate a Poll on a mailing list without prior acknowledgment.

Talking about email mail-list etiquette - one should take the time to
remove unnecessary Cc:s, one should take the time to "edit" quoted text so
it is at a minimum, and when one is "just" agreeing or disagreeing with a

And, no - these are not my "rules." Having posted my first internet email
in 1978, these are the "rules of the road," taught to me over the last 24
years by others...

> If you don't want to...read it, than you can always just delete it.

   ... that is not the point

On a list "of size," a poll request could generate hundreds of messages,
traffic that can best be handled other ways - and this type of (what is
sometimes called abusive) action is one reason lists go moderated.

After all, polls are one reason we have a forum!

Any poster can create a forum poll, email the list of its existance, and
thereby keep unnecessary to-the-list traffic to a minimum.

 --- REgards, walts@dorsai.org Walter C. Schmidt, IT CPA  Blue(.) ---
 - -   Associate   |      Online since CompuServe's MicroNET      - -
 ---    Expert     |                                              ---
 - -  Expert Zone  |        http://www.dorsai.org/~walts/         ---
 - - 52 Ken http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/ Sun 57 - -