Re: [atlarge-discuss] Trademark debate

   ...as I read it

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 it was written:

> Words and language are not owned.
   ...but specific combination are

> Can you copy write infringe on the Bible or the Koran or Buddha? I
> think not.
   ...and this adds what to our attempts to understand the issue at hand?
After X years, certain protected items ceased to be protected - to quote
from Project Gutenberg ( http://promo.net/pg/history.html ): "...the
period before a copyrighted work entered the Public Domain was extended
from 28 years (with a 28 year extension available) to 50 years more than
the life of the author...(The original copyright was for 14 years, in the
U.S.)

> If the great ICON of the great ICANN chooses to lay heavy legal hands
> upon us for associating with them, then what could the outcome
> possibly be?
   ...I take the use of great/great/heavy to be sarcastic. As to outcome,
it seems to me, we at-large users of the Internet are not being favored by
many. Yet another set-back might be to allow us to decide to use a name we
could be prevented from using - and then remind us of that.

> ...the sophistry of Mr. Berryhill
   ...sophistry: A plausible but misleading or fallacious argument. And
they may be - but the details supporting the conclusion arrived at is/are?

> ...but it has absolutely no application in human and practical terms.
> It was only legalistic theory and not a reasonable suggestion at all.
> I have heard from someone that knows him, as I do not, that it was an
> experiment.
   ...and the support for these (four plus) statements are???

We are faced with understanding a complex situation. We seem to like to
take our subjective opinions and present them as objective truths proving
us right and them wrong. And when someone dares to offer a practical
solution - well - for those of you who take the moment, I'll let O.S. Card
finish my thought for me - he has done so, so much better than I ever
could:

 http://www.dorsai.org/~walts/oscard.html

 --- REgards, walts@dorsai.org Walter C. Schmidt, IT CPA  Blue(.) ---
 - -   Associate   |      Online since CompuServe's MicroNET      - -
 ---    Expert     |                                              ---
 - -  Expert Zone  |        http://www.dorsai.org/~walts/         ---
 - - 52 Ken http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/ Sun 57 - -