Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] Re: [atlarge-discuss] FW:Resignation

Richard and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Hi Jamie
>
> Thanks for asking.
>
> My position re. icannatlarge.org is that I do not like the name. However I
> like democracy. The membership has spoken and this name is the democratic
> will of our group.

  Very much agreed here.  Dispite Ron's recent disparaging post attacking
me, I am a strong proponent of a democratic process in nearly all things
related to people.

> I think our organisation can make an informed contribution as
> IcannatLarge.com and that is fine.

  But the newly voted upon name is ICANNATLARGE.ORG...

> My misgivings are:
> (a) I feel we are tainted by association with the name Icann - Icann is
> corrupt and we will need to work extra hard to disassociate ourselves from
> the unscrupulous people who run Icann, in the eyes of an unaware public.

  Our job one should be to bring some creditability back to ICANN if
the members wish to be associated with ICANN and be represented
on the ICANN BoD.  If not, than this effort with our new DN will
fade away when ICANN dies.  At that point we may wish to
reinvent ourselves and start build on whatever we have at that
time...

> (b) The name "narrows" our mission by focussing too much on Icann and making
> that central, when I believe user participation in the running of the
> Internet should be central in a "broader" coalition of people

  Agreed.  So broad in fact that it should include any and all interested
stakeholders/users.

> (c) I would prefer us to go for a more populist approach rather than the
> emphasis being on establishing a smaller group of "cognoscenti" primarily
> engaged in Icann issues and detail. I do not believe that mission and
> outreach is particularly helped by "narrowing" our brief, so we'll have to
> work hard to try to attract a wider spectrum of people

  Yes due to ICANN's creditability gap's this will unfortunately make
growing our membership more difficult.

> Anyway, the GOOD news is that once again democratic processes have run their
> course, and the integrity of those processes is vital, if we are to have any
> claim at all to democracy and representation in the running of the internet.
> That's why I opposed amending the voting procedure midway through the
> ballot, even though the outcome was likely to be contrary to what I
> personally preferred.

  Good for you Richard!  You did the right thing, as did others of us
here.  Well done!

> Community is about more than one person's will. This is a hard - and often
> frustrating - lesson. But democracy and the right of the WHOLE community to
> determine its future is a priceless principle.

  Not only a priceless principal, but a very necessary one as well.
E plurbis unum -  From many, one.

> So where I stand on icannatlarge.com is that I welcome it as the will of the
> majority and I celebrate the continuing evolution of this group along
> uncompromising democratic processes.
>
> On a secondary point, and much less important, someone suggested me as
> co-chair. Let me explain my temperament to you. I am a group person and not
> a leader. I dislike the "pressure" of leadership and I feel my best
> contribution is to play my part as part of a team. I also lack the "insider"
> knowledge of ICANN issues and technical understanding generally. I am
> insufficiently experienced or temperamentally inclined to take on that
> leadership role. OK, maybe leadership is the wrong role, co-ordinator would
> be a better term to use.

  Thank you for this frank admission.  You should be respected and commended
for it.

> Nevertheless I categorically prefer to serve as part of a panel team and
> membership team. That's not cowardice I hope, just self-knowledge. So I
> decline the invitation to be co-chair etc.

  Good decision and a good reason for arriving at ti Richard.  Again, well done!

> I am basically an "outsider" to this Icann World, who stumbled across
> corruption and lies, and was bemused by it all.

  Yes we even have folks that are members here spreading lies.  That
is a terrible and distructive thing to do.  ICANN has made it a part of
their process.  We must not allow it to be a part of ours lest we
become no better than ICANN.

> The more I dug into the
> data, the more I was horrified by what I found. Disgusting people.
> Unaccountable. I thought, the ordinary people of the internet should bring
> these evasive tricksters to book and call them to account. Icannatlarge.com
> was speaking the language and principles of doing just that.

  Yes these are the principals that drove myself and a number of others
to form [INEGroup] in '98.  And we remain a growing and thriving organization
with many web presence's.

> As an "outsider" I lack in-depth knowledge of Icann and all its
> machinations. But I prefer to be an outsider, because my assessment is that
> Icann just draws honest people into its own agendas and schemes. I want no
> part of that.

  Scheming in the negative as ICANN often has done and seemingly wishes
to continue to do, is not in the best interests of the stakeholders.  The
ICANN leadership refuses to embrace this however still.  Perhaps we
can act as a catalyst to change that.  Perhaps not also.  Which ever,
we must remain independent to some degree and stand by basic
democratic principals that we espouse lest we become sucked into
where ICANN is now...

> I'm interested in the agenda of ordinary people, including those of us in
> IcannatLarge.com - but I also share some of Jefsey's vision of a
> multiplicity of at-larges, a network of disparate communities. If
> IcannatLarge "narrows" then my own interests will nevertheless continue to
> extend to broader groups.

  Good!

> If Wi-Fi really takes off then I can see networks springing up all over the
> place. I can see ordinary people regaining the control of THEIR internet. I
> hope this day comes soon. I hope ICANN soon becomes a historical footnote.
> THEN... maybe we'll all agree to change the name!

  Perhaps so...