Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Focused Mission Statement (was: point of order)

I am in agreement with Judyth on these points.

----- Original Message -----
From: <espresso@e-scape.net>
To: <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 8:55 PM
Subject: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Focused Mission Statement (was: point of
order)

Judyth:  My personal version would be something like:

  "ICANNatLarge exists to create and maintain democratic means by which
   all Internet users can participate in the governance of the Internet
   so as to recognize its importance as a truly global resource."

*****RH: I like this - I agree with its broader mission statement - and I
totally agree that the "At Large" is a meaningless term to most people *****

Judyth: NOTES:

Judyth: 1. Not "ICANNatLarge.org" -- that's just a domain name, not an
organization,
   and we'd need an organization with chapters all over the world, not just
   a single Web-site, to do the job.

*****RH: I totally agree : I've always felt IcannatLarge.com or
IcannatLarge.org sounds like a website, NOT the organisation itself. It
diminishes the stature and seriousness and full broad scope of what we might
be about *****

Judyth: 4. "Truly" to emphasize that we want the Internet to be for
everyone, not
   just the multinational businesses that make money from it or the more
   affluent and/or technically-adept folks who are already online.

*****RH: This is a vital point - this is the heart of the debate - the
Internet exists for ALL the world, not primarily for the "haves" and the
corporate minority*****