Re: [atlarge-discuss] Bakers dozen/ witches coven no more...

The RIRs show they decide, without USG approval, unlike ICANN/Verisign which had to wait for a Washington's OK (and "authorization" to maintain a 14th root server). This is not really technical cosmetic but contract negotiation policy. Also a way to step into the DNS management field and to cover their local interests.
Yet in doing so they use ICANN's root file content and therefore propagate ICANNs control on the DNS. I will be really interested in seeing Richard Clarke's final document. Final decision IMHO will be political. Nations digital sovereignty and security is not to be decided by anyone else than their Govs.
jfc