Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: the preview icannatlarge.org site...

On 23:34 06/12/02, Stephen Waters said:
On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 19:30, J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

> "concerted net keeping",

this is exactly what I think of when I think "cooperative" :)  probably
due to the student coops we have on/near campus...
Dear Stephen,
Each country has its culture. Our French culture roots in 1700 years of small fiefs gathered as a large kingdom by servant kings, impressed by the Church bishops type of simple hierachy (Canonic law). Authority is a service.

That was opposed to the Roman Law and every opposition for 1000 years is coming from the Roman Code thinking in France (first the south and German universities leading to the Protestant countries, the civilian wars of the XVIth century, ultimately the French Revolution and the wedding of these ideas with Louis XVI's reform what is the Napoleonic Code. Then the drift to communism. Romans did not know subsidiarity but had a very simple and direct way to build empires in supporting local imposed leaders. Napoleon copied that - partly copying Alexander.

British split from that traditions over Ann Boleyn's case. The King and the Church of England started a new organization under common head. What is impressive with them is that they went very fast to rebuild a similar but separated culture. They were the first to codify subsidiarity. This helped them a lot with their own Empire (a few thousands Brits governing India). But it was too commercial and not respecting the old Alexander's rule : mary local people, get to love and to respect them.

The American came as colonial settlers. With a very limited need for all that. They built a fort, survived, grown in a land of tremendous opportunities where they could duplicate everything should they stay together under some common control for cohesion. Until they faught to be a separated very large fort.

You will see the impact through the wars we lead. France initiated crusades (and still does with French doctors like NGOs :-). We want to free and develop others. Not necessarily altruistic : we think we carry more stable and rewarding relations with free equals.

England defended King's interest with a tremendous capacity for expanding presence born from the naval experience and commercil successes. The need to oppose the continental (mostly French and at times Spanish) expansions - they needed to control their access to the European goods. So they build alliances ... they lead. Everyone the same, England first. They are quite top down, Buckigham Palace the center of the world, but with a low authority monarch : their boss has far less authority than the French servant. Hence the importance of the governance as a methodology opposed to the French governance as a job.

USA needed a federal approach. Quite cooperative the way you say it: people together under a common coordination. If it is lose it is cooperation, if it is strong it is coordination: the constitution is flexible enoug to accomodate some of your amendments and Homeland.

But both are opposed to the French concepts : UK organizes and delegates authority (coordination). USA shares authority under a common federal control. French serves the local authority (in a very strict way when bureaucraticly "roman"). England never had a rected enough King / civil servant administration able to do that after Henry VIII (this was his fear). USA faught a war against that and UK faught many wars against it (the American Independence against the usual French royal way we have, and then the Napoleonic war against the exceptional case when we become upset and unite).

So actually UK delegates authority and coordinates.
USA shares authority and cooperates.
France supports local authority and concerts.

This so true that this management style is named in French "concertation" and is used all the time: The word does not even exist in English to the point that "concertation" in English means the opposite, ie contention.

jfc