Re: [atlarge-discuss] (fwd) Re: Let move smartly together

At 00:49 -0500 2003/01/15, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>><snip>
>>I don't understand an "online Special General Meeting."  Do you mean
>>something like a chat room?  (Can't stand 'em, myself.)  I prefer
>>Robert's
>>Rules of Order.
>
>There are some interesting possibilities that can be explored wherein
>Robert's Rules may be enforced and still allow for meaningful
>face-to-face
>(or voice to voice) interaction (i.e. the creation of a multicast
>network).  I'm not half the techie some of the people on these lists
>are
>and even I could toss around practicable solutions.  I, for one, would
>like
>to broadcast (live) the goings-on at the ICANN meeting in Montreal
>this
>coming summer.  I am going to try and do it using a streaming server
>software that I've been testing.  It looks quite promising.  I will
>require
>help though (like MONEY to buy bandwidth or free bandwidth) and a
>decent
>connection which may end up running a few bucks.  If any of you are
>interested in "helping", I would love to hear from you.  I'm sure more
>than
>a few of you would like to have the next ICANN meeting broadcast
>available
>to the public.  Question is, will you pony up the dough?  People pay
>exorbitant fees to watch closed circuit wrestling extravaganzas.  If
>you
>ask me, this could end up being a bargain in comparison.  But, that
>all
>depends on YOU!

That's an interesting idea, although I admit I wouldn't pay for
streamed broadcasts of ICANN any more than for closed-circuit
wrestling or any other spectator sport and don't think this
sort of mechanism is really applicable to participation of
our members in their own meetings.

That being said, I'm in Montreal and know some people outside
this group who might be interested and just might be able to
provide some bandwidth for such a broadcast though I doubt
they've the budget to sink their money into this effort. Let
me know if you want me to put the word out but ...

When you get right down to it, surely ICANN itself should be
funding this sort of broadcast, rather than us or some other
non-profit group? Amongst other things, it should be right
up their alley since the broadcast would only be accessible
to people with high-end systems and broadband access like
the folks in the IT industry and the people with the cushier
sort of jobs in areas where businesses have DSL and such,
not individuals outside urban centres or in developing
countries or in non-affluent social strata. It might be
worth your while to approach them and offer to provide the
service.

Meanwhile, I confess I am *far* more interested in getting
this proto-organization on track than in messing with
streaming video of the technocrats at play.

At 14:15 +0100 2003/01/15, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>I will try to implement an e-mail polling system for our members as
>soon as I can - unfortunately I don't have tons of spare time these
>days. If anyone wants to volunteer some perl/php over mysql...

Shout me down if you like, people, but I think this is one of
those cases where technology can be a hindrance rather than a
help.

An "e-mail polling system for our members" can be as
simple as setting up a "nickname" for the list of members'
e-mail addresses and sending out a message containing the
ballot questions with instructions to return them to a
specified address by a specified date. No rocket science
required -- just access to the membership's addresses and
a human agreement on what the questions will be and who will
count and verify the votes and publish the results to the
same list of addresses. Nice as it might be to have a script
which assigns a unique number to each ballot so as to
automatically check it off as it comes back and tabulate its
contents, I've done the low-tech approach myself and it also
works. We can always switch to a perl/php script when it
becomes available.

Regards,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>