[atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] New panel elections?

Dear Vittorio, Jefsey, Bruce, and all panelists

I am inflexible in demanding that the wishes of the membership are
implemented.

I think you are intelligent enough to understand that if we ran a formal
vote on these same questions, the result would not be much different to the
findings of the 171 who participated in last week's informal poll.

They want more polls like that (even if more formally sanctioned); they want
the power to ask and answer questions that define our policies; they want a
new panel election; they don't want ICANN's At Large structure.

Here in UK we have Tony Blair leading this country into war against Iraq,
even if the UN does not support it. And yet British public opinion has
become even more hostile to this. A week ago the Mirror Poll showed 84%
opposed to war on Iraq. Tonight the Times Poll shows 90% opposed to war on
Iraq.

I do not want our "bottom up" organisation to become like that.

I am not interested in leaders who defy the people.

I am interested in using technology to define members' wishes. And then the
elected panel is merely the "implementer" of the members' will.

I agree with Jefsey that we can introduce more safeguards and processes into
the Polling Booth : but in the end, I see the Poll as being the means of
defining and developing policy, which becomes the "command" to the panel.

The members - through the Poll - should rule the panel and be the leaders.

The Panel should just be the "workers" and "servants" who get things done in
obedience to the members.

And so we turn conventional paternalistic politics on its head. We
demonstrate "bottom up" instead of "top down".

This way, we demonstrate the very lesson we want ICANN to learn.

yrs in friendship,

Richard H