Re: [atlarge-discuss] Last Man Standing

Hello Ron,

I support the structure that you have proposed, and frankly, I see no harm in
"limiting the number of panel members to the number of fingers on one hand
(with some amputations)".  This group has twice tried an eleven-member panel
(with disastrous results on each occasion) -- what is to be gained by
repeating the same folly yet again?

Maybe I just don't "get it", but I don't understand the particular "magic" in
the number "eleven".  Why wouldn't "five" suffice?  Ideally, one would have a
representative from each ICANN region in order to satisfy diversity
requirements.  However, as we enter into this election, once again there has
been no consideration given to diversity by those panelists that are
orchestrating this election...   One might rightly ask, just how legitimate
will this group be if it winds up electing the bulk of its panelists
primarily from North America?

But, I see no real point in obstructing the election process at this late
stage, so... let's move to the "Bottom line"...

The problem with icannatlarge has been that this particular group has failed
time after time owing to a lack of "leadership", and owing to the fact that
some panelists chose to use this organization as a springboard for their own
ambitions.

Those with stellar biographies are not necessarily leaders with any degree of
talent in either building an organization or in properly articulating a set
of views.  This has twice been proven.  Who then, should we look for to bring
this effort to fruition?

I can trust those who, like yourself, (and like Joop and Eric) have
demonstrated their commitment to the process by taking the time to attend and
participate in ICANN sessions.  I can trust those who (like Richard Henderson
and David Farrar) have taken the time to express their views to ICANN
management and who advocate in all the relevant fora for the benefit of the
user interest.

Unfortunately, when you conduct a vote and send out ballots to hundreds of
folks that haven't followed the discussions, that haven't participated on the
discussion lists, and most likely aren't even aware that the organization
still exists (after all, it hasn't accomplished anything at all in an entire
year), these people will only see whatever brief candidate statements are
presented -- and that's the real problem and the major failure in this badly
flawed democratic process.

This election does not have a timeline that allows for a thorough debate
between the parties.  Sadly, it has been arranged as nothing more than just
another beauty contest that will allow the Last Men Standing to assume
positions within the organization.

So, I will await the results of this latest initiative with very low
expectations.  As I see it, having this needlessly large panel means that you
will wind up selecting some that are quite capable, and you will select
others whose only goal is to augment their resumes with a new entry.  Like
before, the lethargy of those with no real desire to serve will hamstring the
efforts of those that seek to get something accomplished, and eventually
those few remaining will, like their predecessors, finally realize that it's
long past time to turn out the lights.

Like the IDNO, I expect that icannatlarge will be yet another failed attempt
to launch a cyberdemocracy.  If the truth be told, therein lies the
problem...

Other constituencies accept the fact their raison-d'etre is to provide
commentary on DNS issues... this group of participants, on the other hand,
seems to think that it's primary function is to establish a democracy in
cyberspace (with DNS concerns being so far down on their list of priorities
that it's barely a blip on their radar).

Having watched these antics for over a year, and having watched the same set
of participants in the earlier IDNO, I can attest to the fact that before
long we will find ourselves dealing with yet another glorified pissing
contest between long-time adversaries (each hoping to become king of this
ever-shrinking sandbox).

It was nice meeting you in Rio, and I look forward to a time when we can
return to a concerted discussion on matters pertaining to the DNS.