[atlarge-discuss] Re: you have missed the point (was RE: [ga] UDRP dead?...)

Karl and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  Karl, I am glad you revisited this. (See more remarks and comments below)

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2003, Bret Fausett wrote:
>
> > So how would you grade the wildcard issue? Is there any reason that end
> > users should care? (I`m hard-pressed for a good reason to care.)
>
> Here's how I see it:
>
> 1. If search engines or censorware engines start to accumulate a portfolio
> of names that they think are registered but are really simply wildcarded
> the names might be labeled (possibly permanently) as being marketing hype
> (or, should a cracker take over the redirected-to site) be placed on a
> censor-ware banned list.

  Good point here Karl.  And as you obviously know we have
seen plenty of this sort of activity as a result of phony UDRP filings
from major corporations and even municipalities.

>  In other words those companies that use wildcard
> services are running a risk of damaging their inventory of unsold names,
> rendering them either of less value or marketable.
>
> (I find it incredible to see an otherwise rational company risk
> destruction or damage to what amounts to its entire business inventory.
> One set of bad circumstances could render NewLevel's entire DNS asset in
> unsold names in .biz or .us to worthless cinders.  And for what?  A test
> that could otherwise be performed in an off-line, safe sandbox?)

Also a very good point that has been made in various ways a number of
times before to little or no avail.  However it was the ICANN BoD
and staff that through their poorly thought out "Lottery" process
that "Selected" these registries.  And as predicted way back in and
just before MdR 2000, they have by in large managed to damage
stakeholders/users to a huge extent are are still doing so.

> 2. A customer who buys a name that was wild carded will discover that
> there is a period of time - at least a week, perhaps much longer, in which
> the cached material from the wildcard days lingers on.  This damages the
> front-end usability of the name, i.e. it reduces the marketability and
> market value of those unsold names because they will be encumbered with a
> history for a period of time.

  Yes.  Again also a known or predefined and documented problem
prior to ICANN "Selecting" these registries.

> 3. Search engines (such as google) will become gorged on material from
> wildcarded sites - this will simply be a waste of space and a nuisance for
> as long as that material clogs the search engines' databases.

  Hopefully not Karl.  As you may know Google has recently announced
that they will be "Cleaning up" their databases.  Perhaps, just perhaps
they will be able to identify this problem adequately.  Hopefully they
will than be able to bill the offending registries for such nonsense or
sue for damages.

> 4. Those who are troubleshooting the network may find life harder because
> now virtually every name will appear at first glance to be a valid,
> registered, operational name.

  Yep, for the time being and perhaps for some unknown time to come
this will be true.  And again we can all thank the lack of oversight
of ICANN for such a nuisance and ongoing unnecessarily created mess.
But this is what happens or can be expected when non-technical people
are making policy in a near vacuum.

> 5. The balance of control over who gets to handle typos will move from the
> user's end to the DNS operator.   This reduces the control the user has to
> control his/her own internet experience.  In addition, it will tend to
> clog web browser caches with even more useless garbage.

 How true, and very much a user issue that again could have been largely
avoided long ago now.

> 6. The cost of informing the user that he/she has mis-entered a name will
> increase from today's total of two UDP packets (one UDP query packet and
> one UDP response packet) to at least twice that (one packet pair to query
> the TLD servers, one packet pair to query the
> DOES-NOT-EXIST.default-redirect.biz. server, then at least one TCP
> session, and possibly many TCP sessions, each involving at typicially 8 or
> more packets, to fetch a web page that is useless to the user.  In other
> words, the traffic costs borne by users and ISPs will increase by an order
> of magnitude or more.  This doesn't include the user's wasted time while
> all of this occurs.

  Wasting stakeholders/users time is of little concern of the ICANN BoD
and staff as we all have unfortunately witnessed over the past several years
sense MdR 2000.

> As I look forward to internationalized domain names I see the rate of
> typos increasing, thus multiplying the effects described above.
>
>                 --karl--
>
> --

    Pierre Abelard